Gustavo Enrique de Almeida Prado Alves Batista
I am currently an associate professor in the Instituto de Ciências Matemáticas e de Computação, Universidade de São Paulo at São Carlos, Brazil. I am an expert in machine learning and data mining with interest in time series data.
My research is mostly funded by FAPESP (Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo), CNPq (Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Cientifico e Tecnológico) and USAID (United States Agency for International Development). These are the research projects I coordinate as principal investigator:
- 2016-2018 - An Intelligent Trap and Mobile Application to Motivate Local Mosquito Control Activities - USAID
- 2015-2016 - Controlling Dengue Fever Mosquitoes using Intelligent Sensors and Traps - Google
- 2015-2017 - Intelligent Traps to Control Insect Pests in Agriculture and the Environment - CNPq
- 2013-2015 - Research on geo-spatial marine biology data mining using time series, text mining and visualization - FAPESP/CALDO
- 2013-2015 - Intelligent sensor for controlling agricultural pests and disease-vector insects - FAPESP/CNPq
- 2012-2014 - Complexity-invariance for classification, clustering and motif discovery in time series - FAPESP
- 2010-2011 - Time series classification algorithms applied to embedded systems - FAPESP
- 2007-2009 - Machine learning with imbalanced data sets - FAPESP
My research page has a detailed description of these projects and other projects I figure as co-PI.
My favorite venues are ACM-KDD, IEEE-ICDM, ECML and SIAM-SDM. You can find a full list on my publication page.
My former students are:
- André Gustavo Maletzke - MSc. PTI - currently professor at UNIOESTE
- Rafael Giusti - MSc. FAPESP - currently my Ph.D. student
- Antonio Parmezan - MSc. FAPESP - currently Ph.D. at ICMC-USP
- Cristiano Inácio Lemes - MSc. FAPESP - currently Ph.D. candidate at KU Leuven
- Diego Silva - MSc. FAPESP - currently Ph.D. candidate at ICMC-USP
- Luan Soares Oliveira - MSc. FAPESP - currently faculty member of CEFET-MG
- Lucas Schmidt Cavalcante - MSc. FAPESP - currently at Microsoft
- Vinícius Mourão Alves de Souza - Ph.D. FAPESP - currently FAPESP-PIPE grantee
- Denis Moreira dos Reis - MSc. FAPESP - currently Ph.D. candidate at ICMC-USP
My ongoing students are:
- Celso André Rodrigues de Souza - Ph.D. CAPES
- Rafael Giusti - Ph.D. FAPESP
- Diego Silva - Ph.D. FAPESP
- Antonio Parmezan - Ph.D.
- Denis Moreira dos Reis - Ph.D.
Universidade de São Paulo - USP
Instituto de Ciências Matemáticas e de Computação - ICMC
Avenida Trabalhador São-carlense, 400 - Centro
CEP: 13566-590 - São Carlos - SP
gbatista at icmc usp br